Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hans Appelqvist - Sifantin Och Mörkret


from Vital Weekly # 581:

When Hans Appelqvist released 'Naima' I was quite amazed: the combination of sounds, field recordings, 'real' music and the story made great sense. I must admit I was a bit disappointed with his concert which I saw a while after that. Not only did reproduce the CD with quite some accuracy, which for me is not necessary if I go to a concert, but also the guitar sounded very retro - it was at times if I was listening to Mike Oldfield, solo again but armed with a sampler for some weird injections.
This new album (well, twelve tracks in twenty five minutes. Is that an album or a mini album) is therefor met with some reluctancy. Again, I like Hans' daring combination of musique concrete, mediaeval music and radio plays, but somewhere in the back of my head, I still see him at the concert: much pre-programmed on his computer, sweet melodies on the guitar. Perhaps it would be better to entirely (try to) forget that and enjoy the radio qualities of this music. Appelqvist certainly has great style and care and plays his material with a lot of humor. As such 'Sifantin Och Mörket' is another fine album.
(Frans de Waard)

Label: Häpna
Cat. #: H.35
Format: CD
Release date: 2007

Tracklisting:
01 - Wanxian (2:10)
02 - Tänk Att Himlens Alla Stjärnor (3:21)
03 - Mormas Fågel (0:57)
04 - Freckenåges Spa (2:35)
05 - Tiggången (1:05)
06 - Skundgässhallen (1:25)
07 - Sju I Tre (1:06)
08 - Jag En Gök (3:31)
09 - Tilli Talli Tulli (1:06)
10 - Full The Moon (3:04)
11 - Iestapiona (1:09)
12 - Talkijangnas Akt (3:06)

Links:
Hans Appelqvist
Häpna

No comments: