Friday, September 28, 2007

Jerry Johansson - Next Door Conversation


from Vital Weekly # 591:

Although it says Jerry Johansson, his 'Next Door Conversation' is not a solo work. Johansson is a guitar player and composer, but after hearing George Harrison on the sitar, he was hooked to that instrument. His latest CD is a work for sitar, santour, tambura and string quartet. I am sure to tell you I am not at all qualified to write about this CD at all, since I have a black hole when it comes to classical non-western music. I think.
Perhaps this bears no relation with traditional Indian music? I don't know. Two long pieces of swirling notes in a sort of middle eastern style, with plucking on the sitar and santour. Actually I quite like it for what it is. Kitsch perhaps? High art? I am not able to tell, and luckily I don't care that much either. I like to take things face value. Do I like this? Yes I do. Fine.
(Frans de Waard)

Label: Kning Disk
Cat. #: KD038
Format: CD
Release date: 2007

Tracklisting:
01 - Next Door Conversation Part I (27:14)
02 - Next Door Conversation Part II (25:39)

Links:
Jerry Johansson
Kning Disk

No comments: